Wednesday, May 18, 2011

2011 Rounds 2 and 3 - Brands Hatch

Rounds 2 and 3 for 2011 were held at Brands Hatch.
Between Mallory and Brands, we raised the rear spoiler and reclined it a little. The aim is to get a little more rear grip but without too much added drag.
A good qualify session, with a lap time of 50.68 giving us 3rd on the grid overall and first in class.
We qualified 0.6sec under the previous class lap record in 3rd place, 0.1 behind Paul and 0.7 behind John, both of which are in the Mid Engined class. My nearest competitor was Al in 5th with a lap time of 51.36.


I had a reasonable start but got blocked behind Tim Pell and Al went around the outside of me at the hairpin. It took me a few laps to get past Al, up the inside at Clearways when he had a little slide, and a few more to get on the back of Tim and Past.

His car has a ZX12 engine with more low down pulling power so it was a challenge to get close but I could brake later and run a faster corner entry.



Up front there was a race long battle between Paul and John.

I was able to pull away from Al and Tim but I had lost too much time on the leading pair so I had to settle for 3rd overall and a class win, 15 seconds behind 2nd, 6 seconds ahead of 4th and 7 seconds ahead of the next car in my class. Along with that we had an extra point for fastest lap, which also happened to be a new lap record of 50.89sec.

In the second race, we had a clear run to another class win. There was a single lap where I was able to keep in front of Paul but he passed on the main straight and I settled into keeping both John and Paul in my sights for most of the race. There was an almost race long battle between John and Paul again, only ended when John retired with bent suspension. Paul went onto win and I came in 2nd overall, 7 seconds behind and 12 seconds ahead of Al, my closest class F competitor. So we left Brands with 2x16points and another lap record :)



So we now lead the 2011 championship with 47 points, Paul is in second with 43 and John in third with 30. Austen, the second placed class F competitor has 28 points also.

No comments: