Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Pembrey Race Weekend - Practice

Friday Practice
I headed down to Pembrey on the Thursday evening, stopping overnight with some friends near Swindon after a visit to Polley for some new rear tyres. The old ones were down to the wear markers and past their best after the heat of Brands.
On the Friday morning I completed the trip to Pembrey which is about as far as you can get diagonally across the country for me, ready for an afternoon test.

The first session after lunch was just a matter of learning the circuit and making sure the car was all sound. The track is really lots of fun, a great technical and slippy inner section and a lovely flowing fast back section. Just what I like! In fact Tim H made a comment that it’s a Derek kind of circuit. Indeed it is Tim! I am not sure of the lap times for the first test session as my lap blank was not long enough and I was picking up more than one transponder signal.

After the first session I decided to run a little more understeer to help me feel the grip on the first 2 parts of Dibeni and help with some stability through the very fast Honda curve. Oh and a little less rear brake to help with the brake whilst turning at the Brooklands hairpin. By lap 4 in the second session I saw a 1:04.51 come up on the dash which sounded about right from what I had heard from the paddock. I got a few more low 1:04s and then near the end clocked a nice 1:03.59.

The rumors were that Mike had been in the mid 1:03’s in the morning and after chatting with John G, it would seem that the afternoon session had been slower, more like very high 1:03s which meant I was in the right ball park at least. In fact modestly apart I was very happy to be around the fastest 4 after just a few short sessions on the track.

A good walk around the track that even resulting in a clearer picture of how I could improve my line through the Esses and also take a later line into the Honda curve.

No comments: