Wednesday, August 23, 2006

So this weekend we have the silverstone round, after a nice month and a bit break in the season. As I had gearbox issues at Pembrey I decided to sort the engine out and work on whatever might have been causing the issues in addition to any driving errors I did.
So the first action point was to remove the engine and get it down to Andy. Andy has sourced for me a replacement engine to run so that I can the original engine repaired and have a spare. So Tony very kindly helped in removing the old and refitting the new one.

In addition to the engine I have worked on trying to understand the issues that would cause the gearbox failures and put some work in trying to resolve these.

1.
The paddle shift mount has quite a bit of flex, well actually its the entire dash / steering collumn mount that moves. John has made me some bracing brakets to make this much more secure. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph this before putting the dash back on last night - next time I promise!

2.
Fuel starvation may be the problem. Well maybe because its hard to link up with the telemetry but it could so I might as well be proactive about it. I have installed a swirl pot post fuel pump which now means I have quite a bit of fuel in presurised state which should buffer any major starvation situations. I have also plumbed in a fuel pressure guage to run to the dash which I might get wired in before Silverstone.

3.
Air Filter. In the first race at pembrey the air filter was so clogged it was causing issues with the engine not pulling at low speeds. When the speeds increased their was enough ram air to help out. It was cleaned for the second race but still having an effect towards the end of the race and might have cuased the engine to drop revs quicker than normal in gear changes and stress the gearbox some. So replaced that with a new one.

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: