Friday, June 27, 2008

Brands Hatch June 22nd - Snetterton Replacement Race

The replacement race for Snetterton was held at the end of the day on our return visit to Brands. The entry list was determined by the list of entrance to the Snetterton round and the grid was determined by the qualify times used earlier in the day for the Brands round.

As I rolled up to the pole position grid slot, the marshal told me to be careful on the start due to the oil on the track, right where I would be setting off from - great!

Whether entirely due to the oil or whether partly due to my lack of skill, I had a rather poor start, with both Steve and a rather impressive Doug, getting in front of me for the first lap. The entire field managed a very neat and uneventful first corner which is not easy with Paddock Hill on cold tyres. I might have been able to take a chance into the hairpin but though better of it and just followed Doug and Steve down to Graham Hill bend.

Just as I turned into the hairpin I saw Paul flying up behind me with dust and tyre smoke following as he locked up and span off into the gravel trap! Opps. Al has a great video on youtube of this entry to the hairpin on the first corner, with Paul flying across the track in front of him. Al managed to retain his position and can be seen here on the run down to Graham Hill bend, defending from Tim in the Fulcrum.

Doug missed the apex for the left hander of Graham Hill bend and both Steve and I had a great exit, I kept really close to Steve as he slipped up the inside on the entry to Surtees. A short dab on the brakes to compensate for the cold front tyres and both Steve and I were up in front of Doug by the time we were at the apex of Surtees.

I then latched onto the back of Steve and followed him out of Clearways and down the start finish straight. Down the straight, I managed to get a bit of a tow from Steve, it would seem that Steve's engine has a little more poke than mine but my exit through clearways was more decisive than Steves and I was able to keep very close to his tail. Here you can see my poking my nose out from behind Steve as we pass the line.

Past the start finish line, I moved to the right and placed my car on the inside at the turn in point to Paddock Hill. Steve did not try to defend and I took the lead on the apex of that corner and held to from that point onwards.

The rest of the race was quite uneventful for me, I was able to steadily pull out a lead on Steve and Doug, who had a great race long battle, to end some 22 seconds ahead. Steve came in 2nd place, just 2 tenths of a second ahead of Doug in 3rd, with Tim leading the Class C battle, ahead of a close run battle of John and Al for 2nd and 3rd in Class C. The top Class B finisher was Josh in 11th overall, to give him his first ever race win. Excellent job Josh, whilst Stephen Dean came in 2nd and Adrian finished 3rd in class B

So another very successful race weekend and although I would have preferred to compete this round at my home circuit of Snetterton, it all helps with the championship points position. Again the car was faultless during the weekend adventures, although there was still a little too much understeer for my liking but it did provide a nice stable platform for the race, minimizing chances of my making mistakes

No comments: