Friday, June 27, 2008

Brands Hatch June 22nd Telemetry Analysis

So a little post race weekend reflection and analysis by reviewing the telemetry from the DL1.

In summary, I have managed to improved my best sectors through paddock and clearways at Brands during the qualify session. In the first race I managed to improve on my best sector for druids. The Graham hill and Surtees sectors however were quite a bit slower than pre-season testing back in April.

Through Graham hill for example, my best this weekend was during Race 1 with a 8.21 seconds, some .2slower than fastest which was set in April testing.

Its a similar but worse picture for Surtees, my best in race 1 was 9.83, in fact I did a few at that pace over the weekend but that does not compare too well to pre season testing for that sector at 9:45 - almost half a second there.

The telemetry trace image here shows Surtees, the black trace is from pre-season testing, green for the qualify pole lap and then purple for my fastest sector in the first race in June. In both of my June sessions I was slower on the entry of Surtees although by the second race I had learnt to drive around some of the understeer and reduce the reduction in speed at turn in almost by half

On reflection I think I ran the rake of the car rather too conservatively at Brands this time around. The reduced weight over the front and reduced aero effect meaning I had to get off the throttle for longer in order to get the nose into the left hander of Surtees. From the telemetry, I am about 4 to 5mph slower than before through the initial left hand part although I am back on pace for the apex and right hander.

Even if I compare my race pace this weekend to the previous time we came to race at Brands, therefore going with a more conservative approach than you might see in testing, its still those two sectors that were slower this time around albeit by a smaller margin. If I could have driven those two sectors as quickly as back in April, I would have reduced my race pace lap time down by a couple of tenths and therefore lower the lap record a little more.

I am however quite pleased with having achieved three new best sector times and the car feels better and more consistent through the entry and exit to clearways and although a touch slower through the apex of Paddock Hill bend, it feel more stable on entry and I was able to push more on the exit, giving me a better run up to the hairpin.

Our next outing is back to Cadwell for two races next weekend. I think I will put the car back to a slightly steeper rake so that we don't suffer from understeer through the two technical and fast corners that lead onto the all important back straight. I will be compromising a little for the very fast turn one but this was fine earlier in the year, and of course I will have to be careful through the entry to the mountain section where I had my 'moment' in qualifying last month! It will be interesting to see if the new 7" rear rims help at all through the long high speed corners at Cadwell.

No comments: