Thursday, April 13, 2006

Final Bits for Snetterton and aims for the race


It always amazes me, the number of things there are to do before a race even when you don't have anything that needs doing!

Spent this evening re-fitting the roundal and number to the front and giving the car a clean. Fitted a new cockpit fit extinguisher pull, replaced the nuts on the newly re-fitted undertray with nylocks so they don't vibrate loose, backed off the front brakes and checked for pad wear. Filled it with Petrol and filled the Jerry cans with more of the same. Packed the car up. Loaded the trailer. I also fitted the new timing beacon receiver for the DD2, thanks to Alistair so that's on and I will enjoy seeing lap times appear:)

Anyway, on the race itself tomorrow. I had a thought about my aims for the qualify and race, in light of the rather suprissing result at Brands for one and then also in light of my experiences in my the first race.

Qualifying Aims
  1. Do 3 banker laps (so that I can actually race. I attempted this at Brands but by lap3 I was 'fully on it' as they say and if not I would have been in the large pack of angry cars!
  2. Concentration on smoothness, especially the exit on the main straight at Sears. This corner is easy to get sideways at and it's great fun but not the quickest.
  3. Corner entry for turn 1 Riches - not too early and carry more speed into the corner. I know I can do this, it's just persuading myself to do it on track!
  4. Use the correct amount (i.e. lots) of curb on the exit of Russel's chicane. Get the car weight onto the drivers side and you can take lots of curb. Compromise entry to benefit exit leading onto the straight as they say.
  5. Pick a memorable braking point for Riches!

Race Aims

  1. START! Concentrate on the light going out. (my biggest mistake at Brands!)
  2. Entry to the first corner, don't leave the door open or get blocked
  3. Exit from the second corner, concentrate on T2 exit on the back straight as most overtaking on lap 1 is into the Esses at the end of the straight
  4. Pick a food braking point into Riches - both on and off racing line.

That is probably enough for now - lets see how it all goes tomorrow!

No comments: