Monday, April 03, 2006

Test Summary

Well the testing day went really well, I was able to learn the track and get used to bouncing off the curbs at the chicane!
Tried so may different lines around clears and gradually went higher and turned in later to Paddock Hill bend, a bend which is quite scary when you first try the circuit with some really amazing compression G forced at the end.
Have a really good time following or being in a pack with the other RGB racers which taught me a lot as far a spacial awareness and where to block / overtake.

Had a little too much oversteer in the first session which mean I could not get on the power early enough so after checking the tyre temps and pressures, I dropped the rear pressures down a little. I also added one click to the front dampers.
Next session was much improved, great turn in as I was able to push on the front tyres a little more and take a later entry o the corner. That then enabled me to get on the throttle a little earlier. Tyre pressures and temps were really even after that which is great. Setup sheets can in very helpful here. No timing unfortunately as my lap trigger device for the digidash was not working.

As we headed to the end of the afternoon, there was one more session to go. A few other RGB racers had decided to stop early after some good running and I was not sure whether to do the same and make sure I did not do something stupid or whether to continue and gain from more experience in the car and at Brands. As I sat in the holding area it began to rain and my concern grew until I realized I had not driven the circuit at all the car to a great extent in wet conditions and you never know what it might be like for qualifying or the race at the weekend. So I went out and had some slidey fun! The session was cut short as I braked and changed down from 6th to 5th for the entry to paddock hill bend and found the clutch peddle stayed depressed. I coasted to the side near the hairpin and spent the last 10 mins chatting with the marshal (sidecar racers are mad btw) and watch the different lines taken by the other racers in that corner.
When I got home that evening to fix the clutch problem, John noticed that a screw had come loose from the transmission tunnel panel and lodged itself under the clutch pedal impeding its return. Simple fix to a simple problem is always the best. Needless to say, that screw is now threadlocked in and has some gaffer tape over the top!

Really good testing day, meet my goals and what a laugh it is to run close to other cars at high speed. I'm hooked!

No comments: