Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Snetterton Race 2 - Championship round Three


Constantly off line is the tag line for this post!
Every time through the bombhole I was protecting the inside line
I actually found that there is a drain cover on the apex of the bomb hole, never seen that before but you notice it when you put a wheel over it!
Had a nice dust shower courtesy of Tim as he cut the inside of Corum
During the qualifying I concentrated on finding the limit through Corum. In the race I had to learn how to find and reach that limit and then cope with altering the line or even worst lift and even brake in the middle of Corum as my speed was dictated by the other cars around! I don’t think I have ever been as sideways at that sort of speed before – great fun!
Each lap in traffic during the second race, I really struggled to get the exit of Russells sorted, meaning that I was a little slower than Tim as we started the run up the front straight towards the start/finish line most times.

As were went down the back straight on the last lap, I even considered backing off a little to let Tim through so that I could control better my exit at Russells later in that lap and use the slipstream tow up the straight to get the lead just at the last point. The trouble with that is knowing if you would actually make the pass before the line as its quite early on the straight. IN the end I just concentrated on the exit and we went up the straight leading to the chequered flag side by side. From the cockpit it looked like we were literally next to each other, his wheel within inches of mine! We actually crossed the line completely un-aware of who had won. The cool down lap comprised of Tim and I shrugging at each other, interspersed with lots of thumbs up. That was indeed lots of fun.

We spent lots of time waiting for scrutineering after the race, still unsure of the finishing results as the scrutineers decided to test everybody for working brake lights and reverse gearboxes. A few failed on the former and 4 of use failed on the later. The reverse gearbox failures for Tim, Henry, Oliver and I meant that we were later disqualified from the race results.

No comments: