Monday, April 10, 2006

Preparation for Snetterton

So this coming bank holiday weekend sees us head to Snetterton, my local track, for the second round in the championship. I wonder if I can carry over the success from Brands to my home circuit? I know I have put in some good lap times at Snetterton in the past, something that I can improve upon with my new found experience with the car. The question I have of myself is more around my ability to race at the circuit due to the long straights. I guess I will have fun learning the art of drafting down the straights and nailing the two hardest corners of the circuit which follow both straights.

Car preparation wise, very little to do this week. I have completed a quick check over, I have a spanner check to do on the prop and engine mounts etc.
If I get a chance and come up with a workable solution, I will attempt to mount the rear undertray. Partly to aid the aero, something which might make a difference in the high speed runs at Snetterton and partly to add a bit of weight. I was quite close to the minimum at Brands and that was with a lower fuel consumption due to the track and weather. At snetterton I will try to add the undertray which brings the weight up a bit and more importantly adds in low down in the car. A better solution I think than just adding more lead to the passenger seat area or adding more fuel!

Maybe a quick polish will help the airflow a little and I need to relocate the MDS Battery sticker so that it fits the strange curves of the bonnet a bit better. For the race I will try an external mic on the camcorder to see if I can get a nice 'blade' 11,000 rpm sound track. The only major change, other than the undertray, will be the use of a new lap trigger sensor for the DigiDash2. The old one, carried over from the DD1 has not been working at all so far, which means I was running blind for a lap timing perspective. I am looking forward to have lap times on the dash during the qualify and maybe more importantly during the race so that I am aim at improving every lap of the race, irrespective of whether I am gaining on another car or not.

No comments: