Monday, March 27, 2006

Is this final prep for the first race?

After non stop traveling for work this past week, I was able to spend a morning in the garage on Saturday to prep the car for the season opener at Brands hatch this coming Sunday. I am hoping to get a quick test in before Sunday to check that I have resolved the fuel starvation issue.

The diagnosis for the fuel starvation was a fault fuel pump so I installed a new one along with a new in-line see through fuel filter just before the pump which takes replaceable filters so I can ensure it is in top condition.
A little orientation for the image here, at the top is the Fireblade airbox, to the bottom left is the power regulator and in the middle you should be able to make out the inline glass filter (1 feed on the left and 1 output on the right) which feeds into the pump (1 feed, 1 output on the right hand side).

Saturday, I also managed to rewire the Digidash so that it should now pick up the timing beacon signals and actually show me some lap times. I am thinking this will be rather useful during qualifying and the race!

I have diagnosed the speed sensor issue to a missing magnet on the prop-shaft. The DigiDash2 uses a speed sensor which picks up the magnetic fields from 2 magnets located at 180 deg from each other on the prop. It find its quite hard to just have one spinning around. Ordered some replacements today so I hope to fit these mid week and then we should be all set.


If I have time, I might try to work out a better fixing for the rear under-tray although at brands this should not be a major issue due to the low overall speeds. I think with the modifications, the ballast and then video camera I will probably on weight even if I leave this alloy sheet off the car completely.

No comments: